Wednesday, March 30, 2011

wet wednesday


Education means inspiring someone’s mind, not just filling their head.
       - Katie Lusk
Things I love today

Candles
Puddles
Soup
Netflix
Red wine
Hot tea
Socks
Intelligent conversation


I’m not a big complainer – though today I guess I am. I am so not enjoying this weather at all. After the drought a few years ago, I am grateful we are getting adequate rain. Just mixing in a bit more sunshine, Mother Nature, would work best for me and my plants. My little veggies are drowning, and I am feeling like it would be a good day to stay in bed with a book. My [dog] Sam is petrified of thunder – so most of the night he ran around the house, looking for a place to hide. I feel so badly for him. I was hoping he’d outgrow this fear; not yet.              
                                
We had a great school-learning day. I still so love it when I see ‘the lights go on’ …  Documentary about the Mayan 2012 enigma sparked great conversation and ‘wonder’ … well-done piece.

I haven’t made this recipe yet; I am trying it tonight. It looks so yummy. I may add/subtract a few things … not certain yet. Replace pork sausage with veggie sausage, and may add some green and yellow peppers.
Thought you might enjoy the original that I received yesterday from  lifescript.com – I get recipes daily from this site … many great ones.

Pork Sausage with Honeyed Red Cabbage

2 best quality lean pork sausages
1 small head of red cabbage (approximately 1 pound), thinly sliced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
4 whole cloves
10 whole Sichuan or black peppercorns
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
3 tablespoons honey

Slice the cabbage thinly, and soak in a bowl of cold water for 15 minutes. You’ll get this gorgeous royal purple water (which will stain your hands and your clothes – so please, wear an apron!

Meanwhile, in a large
non-reactive heavy skillet (stainless steel) or a Dutch oven (I use my enameled Le Crueset), brown the sausages with the olive oil. Add onion and spices, sauté until just starting to color. Deglaze with honey and vinegar. Then quickly throw in the cabbage, drained of purple water.

Lower the heat a bit and sauté for 15-20 minutes. I like my cabbage al dente – but if you like yours fondant, keep cooking, adding a little water along the way.

Serve the sausages on a bed of cabbage with Dijon mustard, and a sturdy Cote de Rhone.


Please 
Don’t forget the GIVE-A-WAY … leave me a comment of your favorite piece of PatriciaA Wearable Art before Noon on April 5th


Tomorrow I am going to add these rag rugs to my Etsy Store. Each is a custom order … size, color, etc.  I love creating these – with cutting strips of [about 1” wide] fabric [all types of material/fabric], tie ends [leaving floppy rag ends] and rolling into balls and then crocheting with the fabric. Neat crochet on one side, the other side has rags hanging all over [your choice of sides]. Fun to make … and it makes the perfect rug for any room … different - artsy - fun.
The one in the photo is in my hallway … I have many. And hope to make many more custom orders.





If we are to have real peace, we must begin with the children.
      
- Mahatma Gandhi

Only five weeks until the dreamy wedding day … still much to do; I better get to it …

Until tomorrow xo♥  




2 comments:

  1. Hmm, I didn't get any of this delicious sausage and cabbage meal...I guess you'll have to make it again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will definitely make it again - sorry - it was so good ... I ate it all [well, with some help from sam - he loved it too]

    ReplyDelete